Sooooo.... the day after I arrive consisted of wedding fun. The girls went over the Haley's house and put together 400 bags of rice, which they throw (aka-pelt) at the couple during the wedding. We also had to put together 400 bags of candy coated almonds, which everyone gets after the wedding. All these things have lots of meaning and interesting symbolism however I don't have time to type all that but one day...ha! It was great to spend the day with the girls sitting outside Haley's lil Greek house with lots of girl talk! That night we went to Christo's twin brother's house, who's dating a Canadian girl, Kristal, who also worked at the PP. She's fabulous, one of the sweetest, most amazing girls! There was about 20 or so of us and Christos family all at the table. Makis, his brother, made delicious greek food all day long! One of my favorite meals! It felt so Greek, especially b/c they live up one of those little streets in the village, where there's laundry hung and everyone looks out their window, especially when noisy Alabamaians arrive! haha!
The next day, Laura, Sarah and I got quads (4-wheelers are street legal over there) and took them into the main town, on the island,which is pretty big with some decent shopping. We did some damage on some fake namebrands and souvenirs. Then met up with all the Hogan's friends and H & C for coffee and beers. After that we took a lil tour of a cool part of the island and had a nice slow drive back through the winding hills of Corfu to the PP. Any day on a quad in Corfu with the wind blowing in my hair always puts a smile on my face!
(one of the stops on the tour) That night we of course just hung out at the reception 24-hour bar with the rest of the guest at the PP. Always enteratining to say the least! But one of my favorite past times without a doubt as long as you're with the right folks!Thursday was the making of the bed ceremony! It was so cool! (I admit I don't understand fully) It's a Greek tradition that the Thursday before the wedding before sunset the bed has to be made and Haley and Christos can't sleep in it again until after the wedding. You have to have clean, new white sheets and pillows. And the unmarried girls (aka ME!) have to make the bed 3 times. There was 5 of us: me, Kristal and 3 young local Greek girls. But every time after we make the bed, Christo comes in and acts like we didn't do good enough. Oh forgot to mention...everyone is this little bitty bedroom with us...Haley, Christo, parents, cousins, friends, anyone who wants to come. So it's kinda funny b/c Christo shakes his head and is like "NO" and then rips the sheets off the bed! So finally on the fourth time he "likes" it and then we put a hankerchief on the bed and throw rice, candy coated almonds and money on the bed. (lots of money sometimes). Then they "bounce" babies on the bed for fertility. Then all the Greek ladies start singing and people grab rice and toss it on the bed and say a well wish for the couple. It was really so cool and so hard to describe how awesome it was to be a part of something like that. We all hung around the house eating finger foods/pastries and drinking a bit for the afternoon. That night Sara, Laura, me, Spiros, Kristal went to watch Makis Greek dance at another Taverna. Then Spiros and I split and went to Potato Mania in the main town, his favorite place, consisting of fries and condiments/meats you can decorate them with. It was great to see him and know that he and I will always be close no matter how many years or miles we are. (wow that sounded cheesy, sorry) He's off to Athens though in May so who knows when I'll see him again. But I always find a way back to Greece, so I'm sure I will.

Ok that was a lot but I haven't even gotten to the big day!!! Sorry!!! For now...that's all you get! :)


3 comments:
I can't wait to read about the next part of Haley's wedding! So very interesting and something most people aka me will never experience! I can only imagine how beautiful her wedding was.
Keep these coming! I love to hear about the wedding!
I can't wait to see if they spit on Haley at the wedding for good luck i think...like they did in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". you are such a great story teller, b!!
Post a Comment