Thursday, May 27, 2010

Part Three- Greek Wine:American Moonshine

So, I've been putting this off for a while as y'all can tell and continue to remind me when I talk to y'all! haha! I've just been lazy in sitting down and making my brain think! haha! :P
So, Friday of the wedding week roles around and everyone that we love and care about is there (minus a few who had to cancel). One of Christo's many titles at the PP is the "quad guy". So the trip wouldn't be complete without a tour around the island on quads. The quad safari is one of my favorite things they offer at the PP. And after seeing how much, Harriette, Elizabeth's mom loved it this summer when they came to visit, I knew this whole gang would too. I also heart this jaunt b/c for me it was a big reminisince of my amazing summer. They guide you through greek villages (yes, lil greek ladies are sitting with their kerchiefs outside their houses, toothless and waving as you pass), along the coast, through the olive trees, to the top of 2 big mountain and outlooks, lunch while viewing both sides of the island and finishing with a little Metaxa (Greek brandy) and Coke at a cafe that looks down the coast! Oh what would 4-wheelers be good for if there wasn't off roading! But this off roading comes with a scary view over the edge into the water and olive trees! haha! Amazing time....until....so you have to fill your quad up with gas at the end of the day. I was last in line and was trying to give Mr. Hogan money as we all pulled up one by one to get filled up. He, of course, was denying my money....but i'd already taken my gas top off (which is right in between your legs on quad) and when he came to stop in front of me, i squeezed my brake too hard and splash...swoosh...splash...GAS CAME ALL OUT OVER ME! The gas splashed onto my face,into my eyes, mouth and all over my clothes. No one saw this b/c they think I'm always screaming so it took about a mnute too long for them to realize I might be going blind. Christo and Mr. Hogan grab some water, jerk my eye open and douze me with water. It was SO scary. I had no clue what could happen if you had gas all over you (besides possibly blowing up if a match was lit). So after about 5 minutes of hosing me down, we headed back to the palace....eye was functioning properly and the washed out gas taste in my mouth wasn't too painful. ahhhh...always some drama in Greece! hahaha!!!


**side story: In 2006 Haley and I went to Greece for a week and were in Corfu for 3 days with a car. We explored all around and found this place called Kaiser's Throne, we carved our names (like rednecks from America would do, ha!) in this iron bridge that's like a look out point. 4 years later our initials and date was still there and it had definitely been painted over a few times. But our rusted out initals stayed strong! :) how awesome is that! (pics on facebook)
So that night we all loaded up the Pink Palace bus (like a big Greyhound one, that's pink! :) ) and went to a "rehearsal" dinner type thing at a local taverna. They rented the whole place out to us and showered us with AMAZING, AMAZING greek food...like one course after another! They also had some wine...now I've had Greek wine plenty of times over there. However, this was more of a "local" type of Greek wine, which I was later told the next day is similar to our verison of a "moonshine" type product. Would've been nice to know that evening! So let's combine my enjoyment of wine in general with wanting liquid courage for my speech= interesting ending to the night. (more later) So at dinner I was SO happy to sit with my co-workers from this summer: Alana (Australian sweetheart), Alex (British who worked at the PP for 3 years, now in London), Greg (Greek, living in Athens but summers in Corfu), Mark (Brit with the strongest accent ever! who is back at the PP working) and Mike (New Zealander, aka Kiwi, also my guy BFF from this summer). And the lady, Diane, who's british but met a Greek man 25 years ago and has lived in Corfu since then. I call her my "Corfu mum" b/c she worked with us at Reception girls and put up with our madness!
(Diane, Alana and me!)
***sorry that was a boring description area but they all deserve the props****
So the food flowed, the conversations in multiple languaged carried among the tables, obviously the wine carafes were emptied and refilled and the speeches began. Everyone said the most amazing, sweet, endearing things. And then I knew it was my turn...as many of you may know I LOVE giving speeches and usually have a little rhyming ditty prepared, however for Haley, there was no way or words or enough time to put together our friendship. So, I did what the "local wine" told me I could do and got up there and just spoke. Not gonna lie, one of my top speeches. I hit every point I wanted to. Minus the immense, immense amount of tears! :( Even when I was telling a joke tears where flowing! haha! Hot mess for sure! But I was determined to let Haley and Christos (most importantly ) and their family/friends know how much they meant to me and their MASSIVE impact on my life!
Then as usual for the Greeks, they don't have a party without dancing!! No matter age or sex if you're happy you dance! And they all did. One by one and some brave Alabamians gave it their go, of course I did, ending in my infamous splits! haha! Then they had a big group, dancing, spiraling circle in this little taverna! It was simply amazing and once again impossible to put into words! I've added a picture though to get an above shot. This is where my "wine" kicks in and things get a little hazy but we danced forever and then went back to the PP and all hung out at the reception bar. I was happy to have made it safely to my room that night. haha!!! Not EVERYTHING needs to go on a blog! ;)



Saturday we woke up (slowly, grasping for Advil) and headed to reception to gleefully see our sweet Lozz's face!!! She's my other favorite Australian I worked with this summer. The sweetest, funniest girl ever! Unfortunately she was 4 days late because of the stupid volcano but just happy to see her face again. So me and my 2 Aussies hit up the beach kitchen for some much needed food! We sat on the beach a bit and caught up on life and talking about the unforgettable summer we all were blessed to have had. And then....I joined in on the reception decorations, which Laura and Sarah and already amazingly done so well. Then time for the wedding.... (hahah sorry it's late in ATL!)

No comments: