Monday, December 15, 2008

My BFF Haley!


Well many of y'all know my dear Haley Hogan. We began our friendship once upon a middle school day and she hasn't been able to shake me since. But we managed through Briarwood HS, University of Tennessee, Greece, short life in Florida and back to Greece again. This time though it'll be a permanent move, to one of my favorite islands Corfu. So this time around I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that it'll be quite a while before I see her face in Alabama again. Distance has usually never been a factor as you can tell from her locations listed above, but Greece is definitely the most challenging because:
1) She's always doing something cool over there and isn't concerned with a phone call from pitful ole me in America.  
2) The time difference is a pain in the booty! 
3) I can't just show up at her house and force her to drink a glass of wine and sit on the porch with me.
4) She loves Cristo more than me.
5)It's EXPENSIVE to call!!! 

So as she prepares to leave me on Dec. 31st I thought I'd make a special post just for her to remember how much I and many others love her here in America! For those of you who are recently new friends, Haley is how I developed my sense of adventure for traveling abroad. I knew I slightly loved it when I went to France in high school but after venturing to Greece 3 times, there's no doubt I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I'd do it alone...something I could never say about myself years ago. One of my proudest moments is when I literally showed up in Greece, totally unannounced to surprise Haley in 2007. No one in Greece was expecting me at all it was a TOTAL surprise, done on a whim and one of the most exciting things I have done! All to see my Haley! And even though distance has separated us Haley knows me better than anyone. I mean it's actually eerie how well she can tell me what I'm going to do before I even do it! Just one of the many great attributes that comes with her fabulously, smart brain (yay, law school graduate now!) Thankfully also w/ that brain comes her ability to remember a lot of things, which happens to be my HUGE downfall...worst memory in the world! So for many things in life I rely on her to reminisce about many amazing times! LOL!!! 

So as she leaves me...I'll tell her a thousand times I'll miss her! But I know she won't be sad b/c she's moving to a man she loves on an island that's 2 die for (food, views and lifestyle wise). And she also knows that I can't stay away from Greece for many, many reasons! So thanks for being one of the best friends I could ask for Haley, love you lots and will miss you here in America. Can't wait to see what all the future holds!
 "Here's to Greece, may we come back in one piece" (who would've thought...)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Okay, I got a little teary reading this. Because the friendship you two have is beautiful. Because Haley is one of the coolest chicks ever and is 100% totally herself all the time. Because it will be weird for me to have a dorky get-together in Birmingham and not see her face. So many sad things for us, but so many happy things for Haley! What an adventure. OH, I got your card and coasters yesterday and I LOVE THEM!!!!! You are a dear, sweet, true friend, BLB. :) Much love from the west coast!