TKB! That's my lovely kickball team's name. Unfortunately, we signed up for the winter league, which was maybe not the best time of the year to do so. My friend Hank took on captain of the team and told us he was all for us having "fun"! And y'all know I love some FUN!
I joined my first kickball league back in B'ham, right before I got laid off. And it was one of the best things I ever did in Bham. Mainly because for the first time I actually met new people. For a while there I thought the same people I saw out every weekend at Innisfree where the only young folks left in that town. And secondly, because it was such a fun game! I know there's lots of folks out there who believe there's some skill, which I give there is some. But there's also a lot of luck in the game, which I love. So that way if I totally screw up it's not too bad. My Bham league was so much fun and I was super sad I missed the end of the fun season when I went to Greece (obviously in Greece I didn't miss it too much, haha!)
This season has been a bit more hectic because we had a smaller team and it was hard to find subs. Can you imagine the conversations we've had "well I know it's freezing outside and there's a chance of snow but I promise kicking, running and catching balls is SO much fun, I promise" Obviously we had a hard time convencing. But overall, we've had a great season. Haven't won them all but I've had a fabulously fun time losing and winning! We have a few sore losers on our team but we're working on the positive attitudes! :) Not to mention I've met at least 4, maybe plus, fun new friends in the ATL. And have a slight "kickball crush". (future potential still up for debate)
So if you drive by a park and you see some folks playing kickball...stop and watch and have a good laugh. So far my funniest play of the game was running into a large black man blocking 1st base. I figured I had to do everything I could to get to that base. Obviously I thought I was out since I literally bounced off of him and flat on my back. However, I was shocked to find out I was safe because he "blocked" the base, which is illegal! Woohoo!!! Here's to new adventures, hopefully just as fun in 2011!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment