Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stronger Woman in Me!


I did it!!! I actually completed the 1/2 marathon in Phoenix without collapsing and before they closed the course! Haha! In all seriousness though, I was totally surprised by how not as bad the whole race was! Now, I must admit I definitely didn't run the whole thing but I did try to run as much as I could, I would say I ran maybe 70% and walked about 30% of the time. I finished at 3hours and 9 seconds! If only I hadn't gone to the bathroom 4 times during the race I might have come in under 3 hours, but oh well, can't do anything about that now! ha! The weather was perfect though...cold in the morning and warmed up as we ran and I even got some sun on my face! The bands along the course were great too and very energizing! I actually didn't even listen to my ipod as much as i thought i would.

Overall, the trip to Phoenix was marvelous! My trip started off with a bang when Billy, Joy, Nick and Moses picked me up from the airport in true form: radio blasting, screams out the windows, Brandi-sandwich and lots of inappropriate dancing around the car in Billy form! We all had such a great time together. The weather was so great we spent most of our days at the pool, talking, drinking and stretching! Ha! Moses (Jon) ran his first full marathon and lives in New Orleans with Billy and was a great addition to our group! We were all so sad to leave the “paradise” we found in Phoenix dry heat, great restaurants and continuously wonderful radio stations!

As I threw my arms up victoriously as I crossed the finish line, I was overwhelmed with emotion as to what I’d actually just done! I teared up a little bit and really wished my friends were close by (but with 35,000 running it took a while to find them!). But I also realized it was a great personal accomplishment and the Jewel song has been running through my head as I write this:

Well tonight I'm going to be

The kind of woman I'd want my daughter to be, oh

I'm gonna love myself more than anyone else.

Believe in me, even if someone can't see

There's a stronger woman in me

I'm gonna be my own best friend

Stick with me till the end

I won't lose myself again, never, no

Cause there's a stronger woman

Stronger woman in me!!!!!!

And I know that in the end I’m a stronger woman for conquering those 13.1 miles! And I can mark it off my list of things to do before I’m 30!! Yay!!!! God blessed me for sure on this one!