Sunday, July 18, 2010

Almost 6 months-The Verdict

So I realized the other day that I get asked "Do you like it here (Atlanta)?" at least once a week when I either: talk to an old friend or meet a new friend. So I thought I'd take this moment to put it out there to one and all. YES! YES! YES! I love living in Atlanta! I knew I'd like it but I guess I didn't realize how much I like it. I'm a total believer in getting out of a rut routine now. However, not going to lie it's not easy but I'm so totally glad that the roads all finally worked out and curved my way to this big city. Obviously, the major straw was the loss of my job. This devastating event sucked, but it was also a swift kick in the rear to getting out of my comfortable routine of my old job and life. Next, Greece was obviously life changing enough to make me realize how big this world is and how many,many people and places there are! Curve, straight, right turn, left turn, straight, big hill, lots of bumps, straight shot and voila...Atlantian!


The best way to describe how I feel here is saying it's a breath of fresh air. (minus the smog from the traffic) I guess in Bham I was just oblivious to how little there was to do/grow personally there. At every event there was it was the exact same people, in the somewhat similar part of town at a somewhat similar event as the previous one. The great thing about Atlanta is there is so many options of stuff to do literally every day of the week. If you wanna go out to dinner...good gosh there's a gazillion places and handfulls of genres. You wanna do drinks specials after work...same thing! Just this Friday a friend invited me to a happy hour at a local brewery company. It was across town and I hesistated but when we arrived it was so fun and totally different from what I had expected!

I also have to admit that as a single person at the age of 29...I don't feel like an Old Maid anymore! There are people of all ages that are out in this town. Totally normal to meet a guy in his early thirties (i'm slowly dealing with the fact that this is my age group of guys) out on the town and him be normal. It's so refreshing to know that just because I'm not married doesn't mean I'm a total freak...and yes I was beginning to feel that way in Birmingham. I guess inside me I've just got some city girl in me and it comes out more and more now that I'm in ATL.

Now, don't get me wrong, my life has not be all peachy and rosy since I've been here. I've had the worst car luck in my life since being here. I'm making jacks**t at my job. I'm living with a girl who drives me a bit insane. (she's nice just annoying as hell). I miss my family a lot. Money is tight and should be tigher than I spend most weekends. I miss the comforts of Birmingham, knowing every bit of town, and every good/bad restaurant. I miss seeing some of my best friends kids grow up. I've gained weight b/c I never have time to work out. Driving anywhere takes more than 20 mintues. HOWEVER, most days those things don't bother me because I'm happy to be in this city! :) And if all those other things didn't bother me than my life would be perfect and we all know that isn't any fun!!! haha!!!

So yes, for all those who are curious! I like Atlanta a lot! Will I stay here forever...WHO KNOWS! Will I come back to Bham ever...who knows?! I will always love so many things about Birmingham and will always proudly call it home. And yes, someday I might come back there and I know I'll love it no matter what. But for now Atlanta and I are having a fun little affair. And I hope that it's an affair to remember! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good to hear you are enjoying yourself but B'ham does miss you!! :)

Sara Singleton said...

YAY! So fun!
you are inspiring me to move to a bigger city now... Chi-town... NYC...

Ok well I'd LOVE to do that! but i'll probably stay put in Nashville for now ;)

Oh and was it the Atlanta Brewing Co. or Sweet water that you went to? i recommend them both! so fun!

Haley said...

Thanks for the update. I really hope your roommate does not read your blog! Ha! Cant wait to see you in October! Hooray!!!!